Friday 12 September 2008

the bookshelf



I love my parents' work book clubs. Look what my mum brought home for me today, all shiny and beautiful with the promising of a great read. And all for a fiver! Has anyone read My Best Friend's Girl or the Cupid Effect yet? The Chocolate Run is why I'm so excited about reading the other two - I love that book SO MUCH. It's amazing, please go and buy yourself a copy if you haven't read it already! It's one of the best books I've ever read, it really picked me up and made me laugh and smile as well as the usual ahhhs of romance. The trickiest bit about this collection is deciding who to give my spare copy to!



My two weeks in Spain were amazing, loved almost every minute of it. I knew I would love Lucy Diamond's Over You as soon as I read the first page. I don't intentionally pick up novels about family life, although I thoroughly loved every part of it, so much that it's now creased, bent and full of sand from me lugging it around with me everywhere I went. I genuinely cared about Josie and all of the decisions she made, and felt like laughing and crying with her all of the way through. A very fabulous novel, I loved it.

I wasn't so keen on Be Careful What You Wish For. It is written from the main character's point of view and written in such a simple way that I thought she was a teenager, not in her thirties. It was a good storyline although not used in the best way. I found it a bit annoying, and found myself reading quickly through it to get it finished rather than to find out what happens next. I also wondered why, if everything she wished for came true, and she was so devastated when her bag was stolen, why didn't she just wish for it to come back?

Bridget Jones was as fabulous as expected, and even funnier than the original. I loved Beach Babylon. It really made me laugh and you have to kind of read it twice after remembering it's all real and has all happened. I'm gutted that I can't find Fashion Babylon anywhere, I'm really looking forward to reading it too.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I haven't read The Chocolate Run, but have read My Best Friend's Girl. I cried and loved it. I have 'Marshmallows for Breakfast' on my tbr pile and Lucy D's new novel. I am so excited! I must get The Chocolate Run too.